Tuesday 26 May 2015


                                                           Welcome to our taxi stories!

I have been riding taxi 's ever since I could say my name and every time I am riding in one I tell myself that this is my last ride, not because it’s that terrible but I just want to get to work without being wrinkled or just full of dust from all the walking that I do to get to the taxi rank. And sometimes I can't stand 16 different people’s odours made into just one big chakalaka of a perfume!

The earliest memory of riding a taxi is when I was about 4 years old. I was sitting on my mother’s lap and I was wondering why people were giving each other money, not knowing that they were paying and giving each other change.

Since that day the taxi ride has been as normal to me as brushing my teeth! It’s such an important part of my life because it makes it possible for me to hustle by getting from A to Z. 

Every taxi ride is different; the taxi drivers are normal people, and they come in all types of personalities and characters. I’ve met rude ones, funny ones, quiet ones and some really inspiring ones. They set the mood in the taxi, like this morning the driver was angry and rude. He was driving recklessly and whenever he stopped unexpectedly causing us to bump our heads and not even saying ‘sorry’. The people were angry and they were swearing at the driver and when they wanted to get off, they didn’t say short left, short right, stop sign, after robot or before robots, they just said stop! And at one point he didn’t stop and a guy just stood up and started swearing at the driver and all of a sudden I took the driver’s side and I wanted to smack the guy and run away, but Jeppestown was just too far.

The unpredictable happens when a bunch of strangers climb into a taxi together and are expected to be civil with each other. All sorts of things can happen and I want to share my taxi stories and I hope that you too can share your stories and maybe we can laugh together…

No comments:

Post a Comment